Monday, December 6, 2010

Monday Morning Musings

Communion. Our high school Sunday school class (Inklings) visited COS yesterday. We've been talking about liturgy in worship and have visited a few other churches to see how liturgy is done there. Communion was done very differently there. I enjoyed it. Rather than the plates being passed, you exit your row and join a circle up front of maybe 50 or more and pass the elements to one another while saying "the body of Christ, broken for you" and "the blood of Christ, poured out for you". You pass a loaf of bread & rip off a hunk, then dip it into the cup of juice or wine. There is something very earthy about the experience of using your hands more in this sensory experience that Christ laid our for us. It is almost too polished  and pretty taking pre-cut squares of bread and pre-poured plastic cups of juice.  This way was a new experience for most of my students. The student who passed it to me asked, "what am I supposed to say??". He was a bit nervous but I think relieved that he had to pass to me and not a stranger. Anyhow, I watched one man a few people over from me rip off a HUGE hunk of bread. My first thought was that perhaps he was getting a bit hungry & needed a little snack. Perhaps he was internally longing for Christ and took off as much as he could. Maybe that's just how much came off when he pulled from the loaf. Is there an 'approved' amount you should take? It just made me take notice when I saw it.


Potty Training. It's been 11 days. We're still having more accidents than successes. For some reason he does better for me than other people. Every time he's had a sitter, he's had an accident. It makes me feel bad that others have to deal with it, and makes me feel slightly guilty that I have to work and can't do it all myself.

Marc. We have been married for 5 years and 4 months. 5 years of that has included Marc working full time and going to school at least part time, if not full time. And in 2 weeks he will be done. HOLY MOLY!  Sure, there is a lot for him to do in the next few weeks, but the end is so close I can practically taste it. It's a tad bittersweet as Marc has truly enjoyed his experience at Northpointe and is doing something to use his gifts, knowledge and training. When he's done, he goes back to his 50-60 hour a week job running a machine. I wish he could jump right into a teaching position. I know Northpointe already has him on their sub list, so hopefully that will offer him a bit of satisfaction until we find a full time position.



Transition. I feel like I'm graduating along with Marc. We are entering the phase of looking at next fall and wondering where we will be, where we will be working, if I'll be working, where we'll be living, where Isaac might go to preschool...so many questions and zero answers. It's a bit exciting, but scary at the same time. This is truly forcing me to trust God more and more. I'm such a planner and find myself in a place where I can't. I've been praying for God to prepare us and our families for moving. It has just recently occurred to me that God might keep us here. If he does, I'm going to need him to mentally prepare me for that. I'm expecting a ton of transition, and to be honest, there might not be much. Marc might find a job around here. We might still live here & I might still work at PH. It'll be interesting to see what the next few months holds for us!

2 comments:

GOTG said...

The world is your oyster - it's a marvelous position to be in. Enjoy!!

Jane Tiesenga said...

I just have a good feeling Marc will land a job around here. Hopefully at NorthPointe! That would be exciting! Lets do coffee soon!
Love You!
Jane