Monday, July 30, 2012

Heavy

My heart has been burdened since SERVE has ended. Throughout the week, various issues came to light with different students that were there: A student had recently been raped, there were siblings living with a relative after their dad died & their mom wasn't in a healthy place to take care of them, a few kids who were in foster care - more parental deaths involved there, many kids who weren't sure what they believed about Jesus and their own salvation, spiritual apathy, and I'm pretty positive there were several students dealing with sexual sin.

Leading up the the trip, I found myself praying for those students who were carrying heavy loads - especially sexual sin- and I'm not sure why. I felt led to. I felt determined to. And then Wednesday night, our speaker invited kids up to nail their sins to the cross.

Now, to be honest, I have issues with this exercise/practice. I fear that kids will understand confession and repentance only in the context of a more emotional, dimly lit room on a youth group trip when they are physically exhausted and naturally more emotional. I fear that kids won't engage in daily repentance because of this. I fear that we're setting them up for unhealthy expectations of future trips they may go on. I fear the unintended consequenes of this experience will have a more negative effect on the kids than intended.

BUT, I also believe the Lord can work through those experiences. I believe that sometimes kids (well, people of all ages) hold on to their sin so tightly that they sometimes need a more intentional push into laying it in Jesus lap. I believe that the Lord can offer forgiveness, healing and restoration when there is a genuine moment of confession and repentence.

And I am convinced that some of the kids that I watched eagerly moving up front to write their sins & nailing them to the cross were set free from sexual sin. I believe that my prayers were answered for at least one.

I am now praying for this freedom and forgiveness they have experienced to remain with them - for the lies of the enemy to not cause them to doubt the work the LORD has done in their lives. I'm praying for them to have reminders of God's grace and promises for them. I'm praying that they will be encouraged and continually pointed towards the cross.

Praise GOD for his mercy is never-ending and his faithfulness is evident all around us.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I can completely understand your concern about the cross exercise. it's a "mountain top" experience and did lack that daily repentance. I think kids were set free from some larger sins, but I pray they let go of some of the smaller, socially acceptable sins too. There was definitely brokenness within the group, I hope they've been freed for the long term.