Monday, September 10, 2012

Teaching generosity

Isaac was given a plastic blue cup at school last week. The goal is to put change in it as a fundraiser for DeVos Children's Hospital. So, we started talking about it with Isaac over the weekend.

We've been praying for my friends daughter, Izzy, for a while now, and Isaac gets that she is really sick. So, we talked about kids like Izzy who have to be in the hospital, and how hard that can be and it costs a lot of money. We talked about obedience to God and the Bible. We talked about how our money isn't our own, but a gift to be generous with.

To be quite honest, it's a lesson I need to relearn. I'm not generous. Money/debt is the #1 stress in my life and I almost always feel like there isn't enough to go around. Beyond our regular tithe, compassion kid & a missionary we support, we don't go crazy giving things away. I never pass a red bucket around the holidays without sending Isaac up to put something in, but this weekend I realized that I'm missing so many other opportunities to teach him about giving and being generous with our gifts.

So, finally on Sunday afternoon, he decided to take some money out of his piggy bank & put it in the cup. He took maybe 10 coins out & put it in the cup and asked me to put the pig snout back on to close his piggy bank. I did. Then a few minutes later he asked me to take it off again because he wanted to put more in. For about the next 1/2 hour, he kept taking a few coins out and putting it in the cup. He emptied his ENTIRE piggy bank with the exception of 3 coins.  At one point he looked at me & said, "Mommy, it feels good to give my money away". Gulp. Why don't I always give with that attitude of joy and generosity? Why do I typically feel the sting that comes with being stingy and wanting to hold on to things?

And let me be totally honest. My kid has been scouring the house for change for the last several years. He's earned some, he's received some and he's found some. Saving all that he had in his piggy bank has taken a long, long time. And I wanted to ask him, "Are you sure you want to give it ALL? Don't you want to keep ANY of it?" I resisted. There's also a part of me that wants to go & refill his piggy bank as a reward of sorts, or go buy him a lego set or something to show him how proud I am of him. But then I thought I don't want him to associate giving with getting. I don't want him to think giving is always easy or pain free. I don't want him to learn the prosperity gospel that is already too (wrongly) prevelant in our culture.

Isaac and his completely full cup!
So it's been quite a weekend of learning - both for Isaac and myself. I hope to take advantage of the many opportunities I have to teach my son about generosity - not only through words but through my own attitude and lifestyle.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I love it!!! Great job Ike! teaching generosity is one of my favorite things with Ali so far. I love to find creative ways to do it with our money, but also with our time and the way we care for others. I've had a few ideas that I want to implement -- such as making a few bags to keep in the car for the homeless family we pass on the corner now and again, or just some fun random acts of kindness. if you want to get the kids together and do some of this, i'm sure we'd have tons of fun!!

Marc and Gretchen said...

Ahh, I thought about something like that yesterday when I passed a homeless man carrying a sign...I had NOTHING with me to give. I wouldn't give money, but yeah, some snacks or even bus passes or something! Let's think together!