Monday, November 24, 2008

Discipline

I'm lacking discipline lately. I find that when I slack in one area, other areas suffer and it perpetuates my slack-i-ness.

Area 1: Devotions.
We are doing a great new Bible study on Thursday nights with our Oasis group. It's a Max Lucado study called "Experiencing the Heart of Jesus". I really gained a lot of knowledge and insight with the two chapters I've completed, but I have yet to finish last weeks. Why don't I hunger for God's word like I should? Total Depravity, yes. Putting other things first, yes. Playing Pathwords, yes. Excuses about being tired, yes. I know it's not about me trying harder - God's grace doesn't require me to try harder (thank you, Jesus!), but the hunger isn't there.

Area 2: Health & Fitness
I am trying to do Weight Watchers in order to get these last few baby pounds off. I started out strong the first 2 weeks and lost 3.5lbs. Last week I lost 1 and I'm pretty sure I'll be gaining this week. I really want to be healthy - not skinney. Why am I so motivated some days and not others? This truly does require me to try harder.

Area 3: Household
There are some weeks I feel like I have plenty of energy left at the end of working & taking care of Isaac, cooking and running errands, to still clean up around the house. The last 2 weeks have not left me any energy for this type of work. I finally tackled the dishes today, but the mounds of laundry in the basement completely cover my green shag carpeting. Isaac's toys are everywhere. Mail is all over the counter. Bills need to be sent out. How will this all get done before Thanksgiving? No clue.

Area 4: Being a good and godly wife
I have been incredibly critical of my husband lately. This is one of my greatest faults and it's one I am constantly fighting against. I say the first critical thing that I think, rather than thinking if it's worth saying, or if I'm right in thinking it in the first place. Example: Marc ran the dishwasher last week. Rather than say, "thank you babe - I really appreciate you running the dishwasher" I said something like "why didn't you fill it more? There is plenty of space left in there" and I got annoyed.

Marc is an incredibly wonderful husband. I don't tell him that enough, and I certainly don't show him my apprecaition enough. I have so much respect for him and for how hard he works. I wish I could lighten his load through these last few semesters.

So, any suggestions about how to become more disciplined? Prayers are always appreciated too.

No comments: