Friday, March 20, 2009

Republica Dominicana: Worries

Two weeks from today I will be either sitting in an airport or airplane, on my way to the Dominican Republic. There are 29 parents and students from our church going on this week long adventure. We have been meeting periodically to talk about the trip and to learn more about the culture that we will be learning about while there. Each of us have been given a special 'DR journal' to process our thoughts and feelings about the upcoming trip.

One question we were asked was about our fears or worries about the trip. My first thought was more to do with what I was leaving than where I was going. I'm leaving Isaac for 8 days. This is a big deal to me, and probably harder to do than what I've been admitting. Going to Colorado last summer while still nursing was very difficult, but I'm not sure how much it phased Isaac. I wonder if Isaac being older and more aware will affect him this trip. Perhaps not. I trust he will be fine, and I'm leaving him in good hands...many good hands, actually.

I think the language barrier is a worry of mine too. I took 2 years of high school spanish & 1 year in college. My last spanish class was 11 years ago. I know I'm going to get frustrated with not remembering more. Perhaps it will spark my desire to study spanish again. It is one of the items on my 'bucket list'.

We have 29 very unique individuals going on this trip. There are a few minor situations that I'm not necessarily worried about, but maybe have a heightened sensitivity to. First, we have a student going with an incredibly severe peanut allergy. The food there is often prepared with oils which are not always labeled. Second, there is a gentleman who needs electric for a 'sleep' machine (I have no idea what they're called) and apparently the electric goes out quite a bit at night. Third, being a vegetarian, I'm a little concerned about the food as well. I'll be bringing my own stash of goodies just in case. Most of these situations I could be worried about, but they also remind me of how spoiled we can be in the USA.

Coming up next - hopes for this trip.

No comments: