Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My sisters

I often use my blog as a place to vent my frustrations, failures and struggles. Tonight, I want to
use it to show my love and admiration for my beautiful and talented sisters.

Emilie: My sister is my best friend. She is way smarter and creative than she gives herself credit for. She is an incredibly hard worker and will do anything for her family. I have always looked up to her, and not because she's taller than me. She is whom I've learned the most about parenting from (well, and my parents too, I suppose). She is a loving and compassionate mother to Noah & Levi. My sister is beautiful. She is very organized and gifted with administration. She's got a decorating sense that could compete with those on HGTV. She can clean a house better than Merry Maids, and she doesn't leave any nook or crany untouched. She has integrity and strives to live out her faith. She's a huge support to me. Philippians 2:3 "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."


Leah: My sister -in-law Leah is incredibly ambitious. She is a hard worker and gives all she's involved in 100%: teaching, parenting, faith, love, auntie-ing. She has a steadfast faith in God. This verse reminds me of Leah. Romand 12:12 "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality." Leah is very generous. She is wise. She is a caring mother and aunt. She is a faithful prayer warrior. I admire Leah's ability to be positive and remain hopeful.



Kerri: My housemate. I would be so bored without her. Kerri exhibits this verse from Romans 12: 14 "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.[c] Do not be conceited." If I ever need to feel like someone is relating to my feelings, I just have to tell Kerri how I'm feeling & she can empathize. She will cry when I cry and rejoice when I am filled with joy. She is a great listener. I admire her desire to follow God's plan for her life & her patience in waiting to figure out what that is. She is a a amazing Auntie. She demonstrates humility and patience. She exhibits wisdom and asks great questions. She's a seeker of knowledge and of God.


Jen: Watching Jen's life over the past 3 weeks has built my faith by seeing multiple answers to prayer. Jen is strong. She is smart. She has perserverence. She is pressing on and I am SO proud of her. I admire her ability to make the right decisions even when the circumstances are really tough. I admire Jen's determination. She loves her neice and nephew so much and it shows. Philippians 3:12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

I am incredibly blessed to have these relationships with my sisters. I admire them all deeply.




4 comments:

Laffin's said...

those were so sweet gretchen.

Kelly said...

Isn't having great sisters and SIL's a wonderful blessing?? I am so glad that you're able to share life with each of them in a special way. And, for those sisters of yours that I've gotten to know along the way...I think you're great too! :)

Joe and Emilie Schelling said...

you made me cry! Thank you so much for your kind words. Words can not express my feelings toward you. You are the stronest person I know and I love you so much.

Leah and D said...

Thanks Gretchen! I (we) are soo blessed to have a sister (aunt) like you! Much love!