Monday, May 4, 2009

starting to get to me

My son looks like a monk. Or perhaps like one of the Beatles from this album cover.
http://www.boskowan.com/www/jirka/beatles/covers/with.jpg
I went to the lake this weekend to spend time with the graduating seniors of the youth group and left Marc home with Isaac. It went just fine until Marc got the idea to cut Isaac's hair. It was a good thought. Let's just say I'm hoping to get it fixed today. Pictures to come.

Anyhow, it felt truly relaxing to get away for a night. Unfortunetly, I came home and feel like I need more of that.

My mom used to always clean the house frantically before leaving on vacation or on a weekend to chicago. I never understood that until recently. I despise coming home to a messy house. Nothing jerks me back into the reality of the daily grind like a kitchen covered with dirty and clean dishes, bottles and yogurt containers sitting on the counter instead of in the recycling bins, mail scattered about, shoes taking over the entry way, and random toys littered about the entire room. And that's only the kitchen!

The reality of living with now 7 people in this house is getting to me. I need a break (I have a feeling that this summer when Tim & Jung have left and Jen has gotten a place that I'll be writing a post about how empty my house feels & how I long for more people around!) Not only am I working full time and being mom to Isaac, I am trying to maintain a very large house with 4 other adults living in it! That's a lot of extra food to buy at the store, a lot of extra dishes in the sink, and a lot of other peoples random stuff around the house.

I love every single person in this house, and they all bring a ton of life, joy, diversity and love into this house. It is truly worth it all, it's just in the chaos of May I am longing for a slower pace with less on my plate. Or more hands. Or more help. It's days like today where I wish I was a full time mom and not working outside the house. Then I wouldn't have to take a vacation day just to clean my house.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Okay, I'm going to go ahead and be the bad cop (or maybe good to you but bad for the rest of your house): Why are YOU maintaining a house with four other adults? I hope you are not really responsible for all those groceries and dishes.

I guarantee you that no household of 7 people functions well without some serious division of labor. A couple with 5 kids is darn sure going to have the older ones helping out. I'm not saying you need to make a chore chart with gold stars...but...hey, maybe everyone else needs to be responsible for one more thing.

I'm sure everyone is busy, but they can pitch in or at the very least live by a "clean as you go" policy of not leaving messes.

It's perfectly valid for you to say "I need you to contribute more," especially during this busy season for you. After all, you are NOT a full-time household manager/stay at home mom, so it shouldn't be your full-time job on top of your other full-time job. Not when others can help.

Hang in there. I think we all feel this way sometimes, and spring always seems to get so busy. This too shall pass.

Wendy