Sunday, June 7, 2009

"Do not be anxious about anything..."

Our sermon today was on Philippians 4:4-7, which is a passage I have had memorized since my year living in California. This passage has always been meaningful to me, and hearing it again today was obviously God's timing.

God has often times given me a peace that transcends all understanding when I am faced with anxiety-ridden situations. This peace comes usually after I realize that I can't control the situation, and I finally surrender what was never mine to control in the first place, and present my requests to God. He is faithful. I have journals of examples of God's faithfulness and hand in my life.

Today I needed to be reminded of this faithfulness and the peace that comes with allowing God to work.

During our silent time of prayer during the service I was praying about several situations:
1. Marc's current job situation is changing, and although I don't know for sure what will happen come fall, there is a possibility that he will not have a job.
2. We somehow have to come up with $15,000 to pay for Marc's last year of college.
3. I'm anxious about how all the people in our house moving out will affect Isaac.
4. I'm in general, anxious about money.

Most of the time, I truly feel a peace about all these things. However, when I start trying to figure out the details, or get turned down for yet another loan, anxiety rears it's ugly head. I'm finding it difficult to try to figure out details without becoming anxious.

I praise God because we can trust what his word says:

"Rejoice in the Lord always, I will say it again, Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understand will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:4-7

1 comment:

Laffin's said...

Good Word Friend. miss you