Friday, June 26, 2009

Training my mind & body

I am on the 4th week of training for a triathlon. I started week 1 by running for 15 minutes - and that wasn't a straight 15 minutes. I would run for 2, walk for 2 over and over again. I'm now up to running 3 miles straight - even while pushing a baby jogger with 30lbs of Isaac in it! I can feel myself getting stronger and can even see a little less of the love handles around my waist.

Along with swimming, biking and running, Marc and I have been doing Weight Watchers. This isn't necessarily an attempt to lose a ton of weight, merely trying to make healthier choices and watch our portions. I do feel much healthier and have lost about 5lbs so far.

I'm training for something else as well. Through meeting with the seminary registrar last week, I have discovered that I am 9 classes away from my MA in Youth & Family Minstry. This can be reduced to 8 classes if I pass a Bible Knowledge exam in the fall. I've been taking a few practice tests recently and I'm no-where near passing! I took the 2006 test last night and got 62%. Yikes! It's a little pathetic for being a youth pastor.

So, this summer will be dedicated to training both body & mind.

If you want to try the practice tests, here is a link. 100 multiple choice questions per test. Good luck!!!

http://www.whitneyhq.com/biblecontent/

2 comments:

Lisa Thomson said...

hey gretchen- are you following a plan for training? i've been stuck on a mile run and not sure how to get past it. i've been running a mile straight for about 2 weeks now. help!?!?!?!?!

GOTG said...

I am very proud of you - and quite amazed by your 62%. I think you should smile at that - and I think you are a great youth pastor.