Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Grandma's birthday!



My only living grandparent, Grandma Zuidema, turned 95 on Saturday. Isaac and I went with my parents to Chicago for the day to celebrate. The original plan was to eat at Culvers (at Grandmas request!), but she later changed it to the Omega house. Isaac was excited for a 'birthday party' and kept randomly bursting out in 'Happy Birthday to you' on the car ride down.
I sneakily told our waitress that it was Grandma's birthday, so the whole staff came out with a cake and sang to her. I wasn't sure if she would appreciate that or not, but she had a HUGE smile on her face when they surrounded her in song. It was quite beautiful.
We spent a little time in Grandma's room and took some family pictures. My Grandpa DeBeer died before I was born, my Grandma DeBeer died when I was two, my Grandpa Zuidema died when I was six, so this is the only grandparent I've ever really had a relationship with. Our relationship has been limited to birthday cards, a phone call once or twice a year and a visit one or two times a year as well. Even though it's not been the type of relationship that my son will have with his grandparents, it has still been a loving one, and I cherish the time I had with her on Saturday. At 95, I keep wondering if this could be my last time to see her, if she will ever meet baby #2, how long she will stay healthy, etc. She's still as sharp as a nail and doing well, so I'm hopeful, but I don't want to take time for granted either.
Marc has decided he would like to interview my Grandma. Think of the things she has seen in her 95 years...how fascinating would it be to sit and listen to her tell stories of her perspective on historical events or hear about my great-grandparents and what they were like. I hope we're able to make that happen!
Happy Birthday Grandma!



No comments: