Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Prayer

I have been convicted that I do not pray enough. Not that there is some magical number of minutes or hours a day that you need to be in prayer, but I know I've been slacking. I have been faced with situations which have required prayer which have led me to the realization I should have been praying long before things got to this point. For example, every year I have leader positions that need to be filled for various ministries at church. I always bring it up at staff prayers and pray about it when I remember, but it's not down-on-my-knees, desperate prayers for the right people type of prayers. Well, now I'm in a situation where most of the high school youth group is guys, and I only have 1 guy leader. Leads me to my knees - again, where I should have been long ago anyhow- but now I'm getting desperate and realizing my huge need that only the Lord can fill.

I also realize I don't pray for my husband and children like I want to. Marc and I were doing well this summer spending some time together in devotions and prayer, but then his schedule got switched and we are back to ships passing in the night/morning. Unfortunately, I have not taken up praying FOR him like I should. I just googled 'praying for your husband' and found 31 days of prayers for your husband. I'm going to post these daily as a way to remind myself to do so, and invite those of you who read & have husbands to join me in 31 days of praying for our spouses.

Praying for Your Husband
“She does him good….” Proverbs 31:12a

Bless your husband by praying for him!
The Apostle Paul instructed all Christians to pray for one another (Ephesians 6:18). This
includes wives’ responsibility and privilege to pray for their husbands. Earnest prayer for your
husband is good for him, for you and the spiritual health of your home (Proverbs 31:11-12).
Satan desires to destroy your husband, especially his character and his leadership in your
relationship. Trust God through prayer as you daily surrender your husband and marriage to the Lord’s wise, loving care.

Day 1
Pray that your husband will grow spiritually and consider his accountability before the Lord.
Pray that he will guard his heart by developing spiritual disciplines—Bible reading and study,
prayer, meditation, scripture memorization, etc. (2 Peter 3:18; Prov. 4:23)

I will also be posting a prayer by John Piper that I find so fitting and encouraging tonight. There are so many parts of it that make me want to become charismatic & shout "Amen! Preach it!". :)

1 comment:

The Werfs said...

Thanks, Gretchen, for these posts. I'm a bit behind on reading you blog so I'm just reading them today, but I hope to follow the days of prayer for my hubby, too. I really needed this reminder and this morning. And as Owen is sleeping in late today, was convicted of spending some time in prayer for my guy and my kids this morning. Thanks!!