Thursday, March 18, 2010

16 weeks

I had my 3rd appointment today (16 weeks tomorrow). I did the typical pee in a cup, get blood pressure, etc and then time for the heartbeat. The nurse spent a good 3-4 minutes looking for it. Then she said the doppler battery was low, so maybe that was why she couldn't get it. She got another one & tried again for 2-3 minutes with no luck. She said that maybe the doc could find it otherwise we would need an ultrasound. After having a miscarriage in October, and having heard the heartbeat 4 weeks ago at my appointment, I immediately thought things were doomed. I was scared & was holding back tears.

So, the nurse left and I was in the room waiting for the doc to come try to get the heartbeat.

25 MINUTES LATER he finally shows up!!! I spent 25 minutes in prayer, worrying, wondering, scared, emotional...that was the worst waiting I've ever experienced. Seriously doc, don't do this to ANY woman, let alone someone who has already had a loss.

He spent about 3 minutes looking & FINALLY we heard little bean's heartbeat pumping away at 164!! Whew. Baby even moved around a little for me to hear - as if to say, "don't worry mom, I'm all good in here!"

I got to schedule my next appointment and ultrasound for Friday, April 16th, so only 4 more weeks of wondering if little one is a boy or a girl.

Overall, a good apointment, just a little bit of a scare!

Oh, and by the way, Marc is determined that we are not going to tell people if it's a boy or a girl. I'm really not sure I can keep it in, but I guess I have to try!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

ahh! so glad that turned out well, but so sorry you had to go through all the emotions that flared up. I can imagine your worry and feel your pain.