Monday, January 3, 2011

Routine? What's that?

Next week starts our true family routine. We've never had one before. Never. I guess we've had semi-schedules, but with 3 different people watching the kids weekly at different times, Marc's class schedule changing every semester, my youth group events new each semester and a kid who went from napping to not napping, I'm not sure we can legitimately call it a schedule.

I'm a pretty laid back person. I like to go with the flow, and I really enjoy flexibility. HOWEVER, I have learned that I function MUCH better in a routine. My Mission Year days taught me that. I thrived that year. But I had 4 other adults living with me to keep me to it. I'm not so sure Isaac is going to be my best accountability when it comes to less TV and an earlier bedtime. I know it's good for me, and really good for our family to be in a routine, it's just tricky to start, especially when I value sleep more than, well, just about anything.

So, this week is a practice week. Marc is teaching a J term class at Northpointe each day, so we can't truly get into our schedule until he's done. I started this morning by getting up on time & getting ready, bringing Young to school, waking up the kids (waking them up hoping that = going to bed earlier), feeding Hope, going to the post office & heading to the office all by a little after 9am. I'm hoping to get the kids on a better schedule, giving me more time to sleep and hopefully I can wake up even earlier to get a work out in. I'd also love to do my devotions in the morning instead of at night, but one thing at a time.

Any tips for creating & sticking to a family routine? What's your routine?

1 comment:

Brittany said...

ha! I hopped on to comment and share our family routine, then I realized I was trying to choose which one to share because it changes just about every time it settles in! For the most part I get up when Newbie does- between 6 and 7 most days. Nap around 10, lunch, nap around 1 or 2, dinner at 6, bedtime routine starts at 7:15, and he's in bed by 8. The Hubs and I force ourselves to turn out the light by ten so we aren't shadows of what could have been the next morning. oops. that's more of a schedule than a routine, I guess. =/ Anyway, I'm agonizing over where to slip a workout into all that, so I signed up for a swim class w/ Newbie on Fridays to force myself into the gym...hoping that provides some insight into what will work as far as getting a workout! I'm so impressed by all the things you got done before 9 am! Way to go!!!