Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What a Pain!

Ever since college I have experienced back pain on & off. It will worsen for a few weeks up to a few months, then get much better. I've never bothered to get it looked at, as I could always think of a reason it might be hurting and my pain became 'normal'. Well it got much worse while I was pregnant, and I thought after delivering it would be better again. Wrong. So, I finally went to the doc a few weeks ago & have started physical therapy. Today, I had to perform some very simple tasks: balancing on one foot on a mini-tramp while moving a ball over my head with my hands, arm presses while on the balance ball, turning over while laying on a table. I couldn't do them. I could barely balance on one foot, and certainly couldn't lift a ball over my head. I was struggling through the arm presses, and I winced in pain turning over. I've got a long road ahead of me, folks!

I think I've been avoiding working out because I want to jump right back into where I was just over a year ago - running 5 miles, swimming for hours, biking miles on end - and I can't. I can barely balance, for pete's sake! I've got degenerative disc disease, or something like it. She's still trying to figure it out. Apparently, I also have a 'block' when I try to bend to the right (which is why bowling became so painful on Saturday!), which I have to work out as well. My pubic bone is also not quite aligned. So, I'm doing my exercises 4 times a week and PT once a week for who knows how long. I'm really hoping to see some improvement. Pain has become normal, and I'd like to see what life is like without it!

I am so thankful for Physical Therapists and doctors who can help determine what needs to be done, and then treat me!

I had missionaries come speak to youth group on Sunday night, and one of the questions a student asked was about medical care. The closest place to get decent care is hours and hours away from them. And they have a 2 year old son and one on the way. It really reminded me how much they have to trust God for ALL things, including their bodies and health. I am thanking God this week for missionaries everywhere who make such sacrifices to spread the Word of God.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Girl - hang in there, I hope it gets better soon! And, save the name and number of your therapist - I may join you! :/