Thursday, November 5, 2009

Doctrine can bring Comfort

This semester I am taking the class called Reformed Creeds & Confessions. It has been providencial that throughout the difficult month of October, I have been required to read the Belgic Confession, the Heidelberg Catechism and now we're into the Canons of Dort. Each of these have brought in their own way comfort, understanding and assurance during periods of hurt, confusion and doubt.

I'm not sure I quite understand those who believe that doctrine is dry, boring and not relevant for our lives. My greatest source of comfort has been these creeds & confessions. I am thankful for my Reformed heritage and the depth of it's insight into God's word.

I've already shared a few Heidelberg Q & A's in previous posts, so I'll only include the Canons & Belgic this time.

Canons of Dort
Article 17
The Salvation of the Infants of Believers
Since we must make judgments about God's will from his Word, which testifies that the children of believers are holy, not by nature but by virtue of the gracious covenant in which they together with their parents are included, godly parents ought not to doubt the election and salvation of their children whom God calls out of this life in infancy.

Belgic Confession
Article 13
The Doctrine of God's Providence
We believe that this good God,
after he created all things,
did not abandon them to chance or fortunebut leads and governs them
according to his holy will,
in such a way that nothing happens in this world
without his orderly arrangement....
...This doctrine gives us unspeakable comfort
since it teaches us
that nothing can happen to us by chance
but only by the arrangement of our gracious
heavenly Father.
He watches over us with fatherly care,
keeping all creatures under his control,
so that not one of the hairs on our heads(for they are all numbered)
nor even a little bird
can fall to the ground...

1 comment:

RMMcDowell said...

Thank you for the Canon . . . that's beautiful. FYI--the birth certificate says "Single." Apparently since Zion died before 20 weeks, the state does not recognize that the baby ever existed. That was by far the hardest moment I have faced since I delivered the twins.

I love you.