Monday, November 16, 2009

Strep Throat & countdown to 30

After a few days of feeling like I was swallowing razor blades, I went to urgent care and was diagnosed with Strep Throat. Boo. I started my anti-biotics, which quickly gave me a stomach ache. Boo again. I only hope I feel well enough to go out for dinner with a few friends on Wednesday night for my 30th birthday.

Twice today I was reminded that I'm not pregnant anymore. The first time was when the nurse asked me when my last period was, to write it down on her charts. I had to explain to her my miscarriage. It's only been a month, but she treated it like it was a very matter-of-fact medical things to write down. She didn't look at me at all as I talked, just kept focused on her stupid chart. The doc at least offered a 'I'm sorry' after asking the same question. Sidenote: why does the nurse ask, write it down, and the doc have to ask again?

Second time was when I was reflecting on my goals before I turn 30. One of them was to be pregnant again. I haven't failed that goal, but I will not get to enjoy the outcome in May. It's strange to me that whenever I have to fill out medical forms, I will have to report 2 pregnancies, but only 1 living child.

Not a great day physically or emotionally.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

that always gets me too -- 2 (or 3 in my case) pregnancies, but 1 (2) kids...hang in there!

RMMcDowell said...

I'm sorry. It sucks. I hope it gets better some day (like maybe when we get to stop filling out those forms!). Every time I scheduled an ultrasound (which was every few weeks) I got asked if it was for twins. Really? You can't read my chart? Maybe the doctor's handwriting citing the reason for my ultrasound as the demise of a twin is too messy for you? I never really figured out how to answer that question.

I love you!

Laffin's said...

stupid forms and questions. love you and wish I was there to sit on your couch and feel like crap together. :)